Some of the most preferred holiday spots are as notorious for shark attacks as much they are popular for other stuff. We reveal the names of the riskiest places in the world where you must be extra alert to save yourself. The list is based on the data collected from the International Shark Attack File database at the Florida Museum of Natural History.
- The United States: The country sits at the top of the list with 1,483 incidents recorded. It had 41 unprovoked attacks last year.
- Australia: The total number stands at 652 with 11 attacks recorded in 2019. A 36-year-old man died a few days ago after a shark attack. Most of the attacks were reported to happen in the region near the Great Barrier Reef.
- Republic of South Africa: It has 255 cases to date but there has been noticed a decrease in the number with only one attack in 2019.
- Brazil: There were no unprovoked attacks in Brazil last year but the country has a total of 107 attacks so far. One of the most tragic deaths were reported in 2012 when the body of an 18-year-old was found floating in the sea just south of Recife, in north-eastern Brazil.
- New Zealand: This popular holiday spot has 52 shark attacks but luckily there was no attack last year.