Odisha: Web portal for inter-caste marriages in Odisha
The state of Odisha is ruled by the Biju Janata Dal party led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. This government is implementing various schemes for the welfare of the people. It is noteworthy that 17 per cent of the population of Odisha are Dalits. There were 658 Intercaste marriages in Odisha last year. So the state government in favor of intercaste marriage
The amount has been increased from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 2.5 lakh. The amount for intercaste marriages has been increased from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh in 2017.
A dedicated website Sumangal.odisha.gov.in has also been launched for this purpose. Those involved must register. It has been developed on behalf of ST and SC Development, Minorities and Backward Classes Welfare. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has said that such marriages will maintain social harmony.
Conditions imposed for:
* Marriage should take place between the Hindu upper caste and the Hindu scheduled caste.
* This marriage must be valid under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955.
* This incentive will be given only once to the married couple.
* Only those who get married for the first time will get the incentive.
* The bride is a widow or the bride-groom a widower, they would be eligible for the incentive.